The San Diego Padres, prior to joining the major leagues in 1969, were originally a minor league team that competed in the Pacific Coast League (PCL) from 1936 to 1968. They played their games at three different venues: Lane Field (1936 to ’57); Westgate Park (1958 to ’67) and San Diego Stadium (1968). The team earned minor league titles in 1937, ‘62, ’64 and ’67.
This lot features a circa 1956 San Diego Padres game worn cap. Around that time, the team was competitive and in 1954, managed by former major leaguer Lefty O'Doul, the Padres finished first in the PCL for the first time in their history, but were eliminated in the postseason playoffs. This six-panel cap (size 7 ½ ), manufactured by Tim McAuliffe, Inc., features a white-and-red embroidered and interlocking “SD” on the front and a blue button on the top of the crown. The navy blue cap shows its age as the bill of the cap has cracked and broken up into many pieces inside the sewn-up portion.
Includes Letter of Provenance from the San Diego Hall of Champions.